I gave myself a big pat on my back after making this dish. I was personally so impressed. I tried to emulate what I learnt from the chef at our club. I asked him, how do you manage to make your fish fingers into such perfect rectangular shapes. So he showed me his tray in which the fish coated with batter was all flattened out and refrigerated. He said, just before serving, they cut it coat it and deep fry.
I tried doing that with potato sticks and it worked like magic, infact even better I feel.
1 cup boiled mashed potatoes (almost pureed)
1 cup boiled mixed vegetables (carrots, green peas)
2 tbsp chopped pickled jalapenos
1/2 cup mozarella cheese
1/4 cup cream cheese
2 tbsp bread crumbs
2 tbsp maida mixed with water
2 tspn mixed italian herbs
1 tspn red chilli flakes
1 tspn corn starch
3 tbsp Oil
salt to taste
1) Place the bread crumbs mixed with 1tspn herbs in a flat dish and the maida batter in another side by side
2) Mix the mashed potatoes with salt and 1 tspn of corn starch until it is dough like
3) Now in flat baking tin, put half of the mashed potatoes and flatten it out.
4) In a bowl, mix the veggies with the cream cheese, shredded mozarella, red chilli flakes, jalapenos, salt, herbs and mix well.
5) Pour this mixture on the flattened potato mixture on the tin and flatten it out
6) Next add the remaining potato mixture and using a spatula flatten it to cover the stuffing
7) Now refrigerate this for an hour. Preheat your oven at 180c
8) Now remove the potato sticks and cut it into strips.
9) Lift each carefully. Dip it in the maida batter and then into the breadcrumb mixture
10) Place it on a greased baking sheet. Repeat for all. Brush with oil
11) Bake for 12 min and then flip over and bake for another 2-3 min
Mine burnt slightly on the edges at some places, so I repeated a batch and then tried flipping it over like I have mentioned above which sort of worked. The final outcome was so crunchy from outside and soft cheesy within, that it was hard to believe that my oven could yield such magic.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 51