Garlic bread is a popular starter item on most restaurants menu especially when they serve pizzas or pastas. While most end up serving bruschetta and pass it off as garlic bread, there are few bakeries like Birdy's which make soft bread sticks stuffed with soft centre of garlic butter blob. While they stuff their breads with garlic butter after baking it, I like to bake mine with the stuffing inside
It is such an easy recipe that if you have been following us all through the 7 days this will pass off as a sleep walking recipe
2 cups APF/ Maida
1 tspn instant yeast
2 tbsp oil
2 tspn sugar
3/4 cup warm water
salt to taste
2 tspn mixed dried italian herbs
1 tspn rock salt coarsely ground
1 tspn black pepper
2 tspn fresh garlic ground to paste/ garlic powder
3 tbsp butter
1) Mix the stuffing ingredients using a fork and refrigerate it until you are ready to use it in the bread
2) Prepare the bread dough by mixing all ingredients and kneading it well for about 5-7 min
2) Cover the dough and let it rise until it is double in size. It took mine only 20-25 min.
3) When done, cut the dough in 6 small balls. Roll them out flat and long more like a rectangle about 8 inches in length and 4 inches in width.
4) Now take the garlic butter and place a blob of it in the centre towards the edge on a side. Fold over and make a tight roll with little air in. Pinch the seam to secure it. Place the seam side down on the baking sheet which is lined with butter paper
5) Repeat for the rest. Cover with a towel and let it rest for another 30 min
6) Preheat the oven at 220C
7) Bake the breads for 8-10 min or until the top turns brown
8) Remove and rub with more butter and sprinkle dried herbs
A favorite accompaniment with penne arrabiata at my place...