A cup of coffee and couple of beignets would be perfect idea for a cosy evening. Beignets is a popular street food from New Orleans . Infact there are cafes just famous for serving best of beignets and coffee. People swear by these and would not miss it for breakfast.
I am a big donut fan and keep experimenting with varieties so had to make the American Big donuts ...rechristened to Beignets. This one does not follow any recipe but more experimented version to make a batch sufficient for a small family. I eliminated eggs considering it makes it more saleable
1 cup All purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tspn rapid rise yeast
salt (I skipped as I used salted butter)
Oil to deep fry
1) In a bowl, mix the flour, salt and yeast together and mix it well
2) Warm the milk until it is very hot. Add the sugar and butter to this and let it simmer until dissolved
3) Let it cool down until it is just about warm to touch.
4) Add this to the flour mixture. You may add vanilla, cinnamon or nutmeg for additional flavor at this stage.
5) Knead to make a firm dough. Use a tspn of milk more if required.
6) Set aside until ti doubles
7) Punch the dough and knead again for 5 min or so. Roll it out to about 1/8 inch thickness and cut out 3 inch squares.
8) Let it rest for another 20 min or so until it doubles up again.
9) Heat oil in a deep frying pan, until it is hot. Then reduce the flame. The temperature of oil should be around 180c.
10) Drop the squares and let it slowly cook. Fry on low medium heat until they are deep golden in color. They tend to color quickly so keep stirring using a slotted spoon.
11) Remove and drain on tissue paper
12) Put the jam in piping bag and make a hole from the side and pipe it in if you like
13) Dust with icing sugar using a seive on top while still warm
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 44