I do not really enjoy the sausages although I have not really tasted many varieties and dont know the different meat versions considering I am not a full blown non vegetarian.
Finding the vegetarian sausage recipe was not an task as I was keen to make the hot dogs and knew of few options like soy chunks, paneer. But the version I eventually made was better option considering it packed the nutrition I wanted for my kiddo.
1 large potato boiled , peeled and mashed
1 large carrot peeled and boiled
1 large beetroot peeled and boiled
1 cup maize flour
1 onion finely chopped
1 tspn ginger garlic paste
1 tspn coriander powder (optional)
1 tspn salt
Oil to cook - deep or shallow fry
1) Puree the carrot and beetroot.
2) In a bowl, mix the mashed potatoes, vegetable puree, ginger garlic paste, chopped onion, coriander powder, salt and add the maize flour to make sticky dough consistency.
3) Use some oil on your palms and roll out sausage like shapes.
4) Repeat for all
5) Steam on a greased plate for 10 min.
6) Use this to stuff your rolls, burgers or have them as it is - smoked, shallow fried.
7) For vegetarian hot dogs, shallow fry them as is and stuff within a bread roll.
8) Top with mustard sauce, mayonaise , ketchup and serve