Didn't I tell you that I think Karnataka feels like my home state here....the reason being that my father's side of family belongs to a part which has now been moved to karnataka but more importantly the influence of the culture in my paternal household. All my 3 aunts hail from belgaum and my granny often spoke in kannada with all of them including my mom who understood the language. She felt at ease and probably assumed we don't follow their discussion. The food was greatly influenced and a great mix of both maharashtra and karnataka. You will find very unusual taste in the dishes. My version of bise bella bhaat is slightly different from the traditional one simply because like all traditional recipes this one has been made to suit the family's taste buds. I assume that there wont be the maharashtrian kanda lasun masala available at your places so giving a different version for all
2 cups Basmati rice (you can use any rice of your choice)
1 cup mixed vetegables (brinjal, drumsticks, carrots, white pumpkin, bottle gourd, potato)
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 medium tomato finely chopped
3/4 cup Split pigeon peas/ tuvar dal
1 tbsp tamarind pulp
1 tspn red chilli powder
1 tspn turmeric powder
1 tbsp sambhar masala
1 tbsp dry coconut
1 tspn urad dal
1 tspn sesame seeds
2 tspn oil
1 tspn mustard seeds
1 sprig of fresh curry leaves
1 pinch of asafoetida
1) Cook your dal in pressure cooker and set aside
2) Cook your mixed vegetables with 2 cups water in pressure cooker 1 whistle only
3) In a large non stick pan, heat oil.
4) Add mustard seeds. When they start crackling, add the curry leaves and asafoetida.
5) Add the onions and tomatoes.
6) Add the dal, boiled vegetables.
7) In another pan, dry roast the sesame seeds and coconut individually. Grind this with the sambhar masala.
8) Add this to the dal. Saute
9) Next add turmeric and red chilli powder.
10) Add the rice and 2 cups water (assuming the water from dal and vegetables is still there in the pan. If not then add 3.5 cups water.
11) Add the tamarind pulp and salt.
12) Cover and let it simmer until the rice is cooked.
13) This rice should be mushy and not grainy.
Serve it hot with a dollop of ghee and a curryleaves pudi./ kadi patta chutney